Generally, open source refers to a program in which the source code is available to the general public for use and/or modification from its original design.
Open source code is typically created as a collaborative effort in which programmers improve upon the code and share the changes within the community.
Open source sprouted in the technological community as a response to proprietary software owned by corporations.
The Open Programming Language (OPL) is an embedded programming language for portable devices that run the Symbian Operating System,
- PHP is a server-side scripting language designed for web development but also used as a general-purpose programming language.
- PHP code is interpreted by a web server with a PHP processor module which generates the resulting web page: PHP commands can be embedded directly into an HTML source document rather than calling an external file to process data. It has also evolved to include a command-line interface capability and can be used in standalone graphical applications.
- While PHP originally stood for Personal Home Page,it now stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor
- PHP code is interpreted by a web server with a PHP processor module which generates the resulting web page: PHP commands can be embedded directly into an HTML source document rather than calling an external file to process data.
- Django is a free and open source web application framework, written in Python, which follows the model–view–controller architectural pattern.It is maintained by the Django Software Foundation (DSF), an independent organization established as a 501(c)(3) non-profit.
- Django's primary goal is to ease the creation of complex, database-driven websites. Django emphasizes reusability and "pluggability" of components, rapid development, and the principle of don't repeat yourself. Python is used throughout, even for settings, files, and data models. Django also provides an optional administrative create, read, update and delete interface that is generated dynamically through introspection and configured via admin models.
- Java is a general-purpose, concurrent, class-based, object-oriented computer programming language that is specifically designed to have as few implementation dependencies as possible. It is intended to let application developers "write once, run anywhere" (WORA), meaning that code that runs on one platform does not need to be recompiled to run on another.
- Java applications are typically compiled to bytecode (class file) that can run on any Java virtual machine (JVM) regardless of computer architecture.
- Java is an object-oriented language similar to C++, but simplified to eliminate language features that cause common programming errors. The language derives much of its syntax from C and C++, but it has fewer low-level facilities than either of them.
- MySQL is the world's most widely used open source relational database management system (RDBMS) that runs as a server providing multi-user access to a number of databases.
- The MySQL development project has made its source code available under the terms of the GNU General Public License, as well as under a variety of proprietary agreements.
- MySQL is a popular choice of database for use in web applications, and is a central component of the widely used LAMP open source web application software stack (and other 'AMP' stacks). LAMP is an acronym for "Linux, Apache, MySQL, Perl/PHP/Python." Free-software-open source projects that require a full-featured database management system often use MySQL.
- Apache is generally recognized as the world's most popular Web server (HTTP server). Originally designed for Unix environments, the Apache Web server has been ported to Windows and other network operating systems. The name "Apache" derives from the word "patchy" that the Apache developers used to describe early versions of their software.
- The Apache Web server provides a full range of Web server features, including CGI, SSL , and virtual domains. Apache also supports plug-in modules for extensibility. Apache is free software, distributed by the Apache Software Foundation that promotes various free and open source advanced Web technologies.
- Typically Apache is run on a Unix-like operating system,and was developed for use on Linux
- Drupal is open source software maintained and developed by a community of 630,000+ users and developers. It's distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (or "GPL").
- It is used as a back-end system for at least 2.1% of all websites worldwide ranging from personal blogs to corporate, political, and government sites including whitehouse.gov and data.gov.uk It is also used for knowledge management and business collaboration.
- Although Drupal offers a sophisticated programming interface for developers, no programming skills are required for basic website installation and administration.
- Drupal runs on any computing platform that supports both a web server capable of running PHP (including Apache, IIS, Lighttpd, Hiawatha, Cherokee or Nginx) and a database (such as MySQL, MongoDB, MariaDB, PostgreSQL, SQLite, or Microsoft SQL Server) to store content and settings.
- SQLite is a relational database management system contained in a small (~350 KB ) programming library.
In contrast to other database management systems, SQLite is not a separate process that is accessed from the client application, but an integral part of it.
- SQLite is ACID -compliant and implements most of the SQL standard, using a dynamically and weakly typed SQL syntax that does not guarantee the domain integrity .
- SQLite is a popular choice as embedded database for local/client storage in application software such as web browsers. It is arguably the most widely deployed database engine, as it is used today by several widespread browsers, operating systems, and embedded systems, among others. SQLite has many bindings to programming languages.
The “Lite” in SQLite does not refer to its capabilities. Rather, SQLite is lightweight when it comes to setup complexity, administrative overhead, and resource usage.
- MongoDB is the leading NoSQL database. Designed for how we build and run applications today, MongoDB (named from "huMONGOus," meaning "extremely large") empowers organizations to be more agile and scalable.
- It enables new types of applications, better customer experience, faster time to market and lower costs for organizations of all sizes.
- MongoDB is a general purpose, open-source database. It features:
- Document data model with dynamic schemas
- Full, flexible index support and rich queries
- Auto-Sharding for horizontal scalability
- Built-in replication for high availability
- Text search
- Advanced security
- Aggregation Framework and MapReduce
- Large media storage with GridFS
- Instead of storing data in rows and columns as one would with a relational database, MongoDB stores a binary form of JSON documents (BSON) . Relational databases impose flat, rigid schemas across many tables.
- WordPress is a free and open source blogging tool and a content management system (CMS) based on PHP and MySQL which runs on a Web hosting service. It has many features including a plug-in architecture and a template system.
- WordPress is currently the most popular blogging system in use on the Web.
- WordPress is a powerful semantic publishing platform, and it comes with a great set of features designed to make your experience as a publisher on the Internet as easy, pleasant and appealing as possible. We are proud to offer you a freely distributed, standards-compliant, fast, light and free content management system, with sensible default settings and features, and an extremely customizable core.
- Joomla is a free and open source content management system (CMS) for publishing content on the World Wide Web and intranets and a model–view–controller (MVC) Web application framework that can also be used independently.
- Joomla Features:-
- Completely database driven site engines
News, products or services sections fully editable and manageable
Topics sections can be added to by contributing authors
Fully customisable layouts including left, center and right menu boxes
Browser upload of images to your own library for use anywhere in the site
Dynamic Forum/Poll/Voting booth for on-the-spot results
- Runs on Linux, FreeBSD, MacOSX server, Solaris and AIX
- Joomla is written in PHP, uses object-oriented programming (OOP) techniques (since version 1.5) and software design patterns,stores data in a MySQL, MS SQL (since version 2.5), or PostgreSQL (since version 3.0) database,and includes features such as page caching, RSS feeds, printable versions of pages, news flashes, blogs, polls, search, and support for language internationalization.
- In computing, C is a general-purpose programming language initially developed by Dennis Ritchie.
- C has facilities for structured programming and allows lexical variable scope and recursion, while a static type system prevents many unintended operations. Its design provides constructs that map efficiently to typical machine instructions, and therefore it has found lasting use in applications that had formerly been coded in assembly language, most notably system software like the Unix computer operating system.
- C is one of the most widely used programming languages of all time,and C compilers are available for the majority of available computer architectures and operating systems.
- C++ (pronounced "see plus plus") is a statically typed, free-form, multi-paradigm, compiled, general-purpose programming language. It is regarded as an intermediate-level language, as it comprises both high-level and low-level language features. Developed by Bjarne Stroustrup.
- C++ was originally named C with Classes, adding object oriented features, such as classes, and other enhancements to the C programming language.
- C++ is one of the most popular programming languages and is implemented on a wide variety of hardware and operating system platforms. As an efficient compiler to native code.
- C++ is also used for hardware design, where the design is initially described in C++, then analyzed, architecturally constrained, and scheduled to create a register-transfer level hardware description language via high-level synthesis.
- The language began as enhancements to C, first adding classes, then virtual functions, operator overloading, multiple inheritance, templates and exception handling, among other features.
- Visual Basic .NET (VB.NET) is an object-oriented computer programming language that can be viewed as an evolution of the classic Visual Basic (VB), implemented on the .NET Framework. Microsoft currently supplies two main editions of IDEs for developing in Visual Basic: Microsoft Visual Studio 2012, which is commercial software and Visual Basic Express Edition 2012, which is free of charge.
- The command-line compiler, VBC.EXE, is installed as part of the freeware .NET Framework SDK. Mono also includes a command-line VB.NET compiler.
- A programmer can create an application using the components provided by the Visual Basic program itself. Programs written in Visual Basic can also use the Windows API, but doing so requires external function declarations. Though the program has received criticism for its perceived faults,version 3 of Visual Basic was a runaway commercial success,and many companies offered third party controls greatly extending its functionality.
- C# (pronounced see sharp) is a multi-paradigm programming language encompassing strong typing, imperative, declarative, functional, procedural, generic, object-oriented (class-based), and component-oriented programming disciplines. It was developed by Microsoft within its .NET initiative and later approved as a standard by Ecma (ECMA-334) and ISO (ISO/IEC 23270:2006). C# is one of the programming languages designed for the Common Language Infrastructure.
- The C# language is intended to be a simple, modern, general-purpose, object-oriented programming language.
- The language, and implementations thereof, should provide support for software engineering principles such as strong type checking, array bounds checking, detection of attempts to use uninitialized variables, and automatic garbage collection. Software robustness, durability, and programmer productivity are important.
- C# is intended to be suitable for writing applications for both hosted and embedded systems, ranging from the very large that use sophisticated operating systems, down to the very small having dedicated functions.